TAIPEI, Taiwan ─ September 18, 2019 ─ With Taiwan expected to lead the world in semiconductor equipment investments in 2019, SEMICON Taiwan 2019 opens today, gathering the world’s top technologists, visionaries and innovators for insights into the latest trends and opportunities across smart vertical markets including manufacturing, automotive, healthcare and data. September 18-20 at Nangang Exhibition Center, Hall I, in Taipei, SEMICON Taiwan 2019 spans the entire semiconductor and microelectronics supply chain – from design through systems. Registration for the event remains open.
Taiwan is on track to boost semiconductor equipment investments 21.1 percent this year and vault past South Korea to top the world in equipment spending, an increase driven by advanced manufacturing processes and capacity, according to SEMI’s latest market report. In addition, for the ninth consecutive year, Taiwan is the world’s biggest consumer of semiconductor materials with spending of US$11.4 billion.
At the SEMICON Taiwan 2019 opening ceremony, Premier SU Tseng-chang, Director of the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT), credited Taiwan’s rise in prominence in the global semiconductor industry to joint efforts by local government and industry. Tseng-chang also lauded Taiwan’s manufacturing sector for its enormous contributions to the global information and communication technology (ICT) industry while serving as a key growth engine in the region.
SEMICON Taiwan Debuts Electro-innovation Forum and Technology Think Tank Summit
Electro-innovation Forum – Experts from five of the world’s top research institutes and R&D centers examine innovation drivers and trends and prospects for the microelectronics industry. Participants include imec, CEA-Leti, Fraunhofer, the National Research Foundation (NRF), the Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) and TSMC.
Technology Think Tank Summit – Co-organized with the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA), the summit brings together industry leaders in SiP, IC design, memory, wafer fabrication, packaging, and testing to explore the future of the industry. Participants include CEOs from Quanta Computer, Hon Hai Technology Group, TSMC, ASE, Etron Technology, Powerchip Semiconductor, and Macronix International.
International Forums Spotlight Latest Industry Trends
Expected to draw an event record 50,000 visitors, SEMICON Taiwan 2019 features 19 other international forums spotlighting industry trends and the latest technologies. Themed Leading the SMART Future, SEMICON Taiwan showcases Artificial intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT), 5G, machine learning, quantum computing and other cutting-edge technologies that are transforming the microelectronics industry and giving rise to a growing universe of smart applications.
The following SEMICON Taiwan forums, summits, and pavilions offer the latest industry perspectives on key vertical markets and the talent critical to industry growth.
- Smart Transportation Forum – The Compound Semiconductor Innovation Zone and Smart Car Zone for the first time showcase new electric cars from BMW (i3s, i8 Coupe) and Audi (e-tron). The forum features a wide variety of semiconductor applications for future smart vehicles.
- Smart Data Global Summit and Quantum Computing: A Window into Future Computing – Experts from Facebook, Mentor, ARM and Qualcomm focus on smart data applications and fulfilling the promise of a digital future through computing innovations and AI chip designs.
- Smart MedTech Forum – Focuses on business opportunities inspired by AI-assisted medical technology and cross-sector collaboration. Experts from medical institutions, software suppliers, research institutes, and medical device start-ups will meet to discuss the future of smart medical technology and business opportunities.
- Smart Manufacturing EXPO – Showcases complete smart manufacturing solutions for a wide range of high-technology industries such as semiconductor, touch panel, flat-panel display and PCB.
- Smart Workforce Pavilion – Semiconductor industry insights, lectures, career coaching and job matching for prospective talent
Asia’s First Testing Ground for Self-Driving Vehicles, Taiwan’s Circular Economy
SEMICON Taiwan 2019 will launch two landmark events in collaboration with the Taiwanese government and various industry associations.
Hsinchu City will become the first testing ground for self-driving vehicles in Asia under a memorandum of understanding – Autonomous Driving System Platform in Open Fields – between SEMI, ITRI and the city government.
SEMICON Taiwan teams up with Taiwan Trusted Alliance for Sustainable Supply and Circular Economy in inviting 15 industry associations to launch the 15T Circular Economy Alliance. The alliance seeks to promote the results of Taiwan’s circular economy efforts in the global market and explore more sustainable opportunities.
SEMICON Taiwan 2019 features:
- 21 theme areas and national pavilions
- More than 300 speakers across 21 international forums
- 700 exhibitors from around the world
- More than 2,300 booths
SEMICON Taiwan 2019 showcases the full suite of SEMI offerings spanning the full electronics supply chain to support industry growth including:
Vertical Application Platforms: Smart Manufacturing, Smart Transportation, Smart Medical and Smart Data
Workforce Development, Industry Standards, Think Tanks and Thought Leadership Platforms
Strategic Association Partners, such as R&D and innovation leaders imec, CEA-Leti and Fraunhofer, as well as MEMS & Sensors Industry Group and Electronic System Design Alliance
With the semiconductor industry working to extend silicon scaling beyond Moore’s Law, SEMICON Taiwan will also gather industry experts to explore heterogeneous integration opportunities and challenges across three events:
SiP Global Summit – Heterogeneous Integration NOW & FUTURE
Strategic Materials Conference Taiwan – Materials Leading the Smart Future of Semiconductors: Device Performance
Advanced Testing Forum New! – 5G and AI-assisted Testing